Here is a true story. I have officially been accepted as an Amazon Affiliate after being rejected 2 times before. Each time I was rejected I was about to give up. I told myself I would not apply again. Since I cannot sit still, and I enjoy making how-to videos & making money as a side hustle, I could not help myself to keep trying.
I want to share with you a bit about my story.
First time I applied to be an Amazon Affiliate
- When I applied, I put my best video that had the most views in my application
- I had a Youtube Channel (4 videos total)
- My top Videos had about 5,000+ views (So I saw the opportunity to capitalize on those videos)
- I had less than 500 followers
With-in the first 3 weeks, I got a few sales. So I was excited. After your first few sales, Amazon will manually review your account. I was rejected, so I was heartbroken.
I reached out to Amazon and they told me:
Make sure you put your entire channel so we can review it. They do not just want to see your best videos.
Second Time I applied to the Amazon Affiliate Program
- I applied with my Youtube Channel (I did not organize my page, I will share more about that below)
- I had maybe about 10 videos now, 4 of them were getting good traction.
- My best videos had about 8,000+ views and I had some other videos that had some good traction.
- I had less than 1,000 followers
Again, after a few weeks, I was making a few sales, and when they reviewed my account, they rejected my account again.
I reached out to Amazon. They pointed me to an article. If you are only going to be a social media influencer through Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, ect… You will need to have a large following. 1000+ Subscribes ect…
I get it, Amazon wants true influencers & marketers and not wannabe affiliates.
So I went back to the drawing board and started to research on the best tips to get accepted as an Amazon Affiliate even after getting rejected.
The third time I applied to be an Amazon Affiliate.. I got accepted!! Third time was a charm 🙂
Here is the playbook and the most important thing for getting accepted.
Step 1 – Lead with Your Website in the Amazon Affiliate application
- I created this website and built about 15 pages of content.
- I led my application with my website that was full of content. I highly recommend doing this. Do not lead with social media. I think having your own website with content shows that you are serious and they can really see who you are.
- I put disclaimers in my pages where I had amazon links. This shows them I am serious and have read their Terms & Conditions!
- I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
Step 2 – Organize Your Youtube Page to Showcase Your Influence
- I organized my youtube channel page (Make yourself look big!)
- Added a header/banner to my Youtube Channel Page
- I organized my videos with the most views when someone goes to my youtube page.
- Leading Videos has around 20,000+ Views
- The Next 5 Videos on the page have around 5,000-1,000 Views
- I built up 2000+ subscribers to my Youtube Channel
Again, after a few weeks, I am starting to get a few sales. I officially got accepted, I now I am super stoked!
Not much, but I am planning on building this to a few hundred dollars a month as I get better on my How-To Youtube Videos on the different DIY projects I enjoy doing.
Don’t laugh yet, when I first started dating my wife 10 years ago, I was excited when I used to make $0.04 per day with Google Adsense. I built that to over $50 per day a decade ago as a side hustle. They laughed until the checks started coming in! 🙂
Here is a quick read on my journey to making money with Google Adsense.
Here is another article I wrote on the playbook of building your Youtube Brand & Views.
Do you need help getting accepted to the Amazon Affiliate Program?
Feel free to email me, I can help you. I can do a quick review and give you some tips for FREE! If you want, you can send me a tip on Venmo or Paypal to buy myself a coffee 🙂